Any old forum members want to take and discuss the Suffering and Evil course?

• Any old forum members want to take and discuss the Suffering and Evil course?

Posted by wonderer on April 1, 2023 at 11:02 am

I was considering going through the course over the next week or two, and wondered if anyone else might be interested in joining in.

Johan replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Johan

April 1, 2023 at 11:36 am

I might be interested in giving it a try for something different, but how the course is delivered would affect if I continue with it.

I went to a course at a church once. It was a multiweek course that was intended to explain reasons to believe in God, etc, but all it ended up doing was assuming God first and then trying to explain why Christianity is better than an alternative like Islam.

• The Beego (Moderator)

April 1, 2023 at 9:31 pm

Im not sure what the premise of the course you went to was, but this particular course on suffering and evil offered here is setup as examining the common objection to God’s existence; it explores Dr. Craig’s work on the subject.

• Johan

April 1, 2023 at 9:36 pm

I had forgotten the name of it until just now. It was called alpha. https://alphacanada.org/ the course was well produced and the people running it were great, but it was incredibly shallow on content.

It might be interesting to see how a course that is supposed to be more based on philosophy would be. Usually I find apologetics courses to be more aimed at believers who already accept the conclusion than being aimed at critics.