Introductions

• Arch

April 5, 2023 at 3:54 pm

Hello! I just got the email about this forum, and thought I’d sign up to see what it’s all about.

I was a Christian for my entire life until the age of 40. I am now 42 years old. I now consider myself an agnostic atheist.

I followed Reasonable Faith for many years. I read the titular book. I listened to all of Dr. Craig’s Reasonable Faith and Defenders podcasts until about two years ago. I even met Dr. Craig in person at a presentation and Q&A event.

His arguments used to be persuasive to me, but I now consider there to be significant objections to all of them that I do not feel have been satisfactorily addressed. However, I am still open to hearing new and better responses to the objections, so that’s why I’m here.

Thanks for the invite!

• John

August 15, 2023 at 8:22 am

I have not been through the courses, but I’m curious about your objections?

• Johan

April 6, 2023 at 7:20 am

It feels kind of strange to do an introduction since I have been on the forums for probably 10 years now, but with the move everything got reset back to zero.

In the broad sense I am an agnostic atheist, but when it comes to specific God claims, like Christianity, I am an gnostic atheist. Basically, while I don’t believe that it is true that “No god or gods do, or could exist”, I believe that it is highly unlikely that one does, and I also believe that Christianity itself is false.

I initially came to this site because everyone was saying how Dr. Craig has the best philosophical arguments for God, so place could be better to hone my own understanding of these topics. I will admit that I have learned a lot about philosophy here and also about communication methods, but over the years I’ve seen fewer and fewer interactions that I would call productive.

This is probably me getting more jaded as I grow older, but I am honestly hope that a fresh new start with the new site will spark new conversations, although I am don’t have much hope left for that.

Johan.

• John

August 15, 2023 at 8:23 am

Hi Johan, what keeps you from believing in the resurrection?

• Fred

April 30, 2023 at 12:06 pm

I’ve participated on the old Reasonable Faith Forum since 2011. Finally joined the new forum, but will mostly be lurking until I see something interesting to jump in on.

• John

November 7, 2023 at 9:45 am

Are you going to be truthful this time? You know what I mean.

• Fred

December 13, 2023 at 1:20 pm

Yes, I know what it means: it means you jumped to the conclusion I was untruthful because you didn’t consider the sequence and timing of my statements.

• John

August 8, 2023 at 8:22 pm

Hello, I was a professed agnostic for many years then became a Christian who was full of doubts about the story of Jesus. I did some very thorough research and proved to myself that Jesus is the Son of God who rose from the dead. Since then I’ve been investigating prophecy for over a year and the results have convinced me of the power of God and that he is everywhere, sees everything, and wrote the book of life before it has played out. What specifically are your objections?

• Skeptical_Realist

December 16, 2023 at 2:08 pm

You proved to yourself, and your investigating convinced you?

But if you saw other evidence, you could change your mind?

Even Satan knows of God and of Christ. Isn’t the vital question, “have you been born again”?

Are you familiar with the exchange between Christ and the rich young man who asked about eternal life? The ministry of Ray Comfort does a great service in unpacking that evangelistic episode of Christ.

• John

December 16, 2023 at 3:12 pm

There is no other evidence that would be able to convince me that the story of Jesus is false.

• Aaron

November 7, 2023 at 9:28 am

I was here as another person on the old forum, but was deleted by Beegos for no good reason, now im back, angry and looking for trouble.

• Skeptical_Realist

December 13, 2023 at 11:47 pm

Have you seen the man’s profile photo? He’ll eat you up and spit you out while grinning the whole time. ☠️🤠☠️

• Phil (Christian)

November 11, 2023 at 2:07 am

Hello, I’m a Christian having trusted Christ as my Saviour when I was a teenager. I’m fairly old now, but hope to have a few years left, God willing. I found Dr. Craig on Facebook while watching various video reels. Just posted my first apologetic reply in the forum here a few minutes ago.

Glad to be here and appreciate being permitted to join.

Phil

• James

February 16, 2024 at 1:06 pm

Was on the old forums as “Emuse” where I contributed often. I can’t exactly remember when I joined! I’ve not engaged much since the change of format, but have found some interesting discussions to dip into, today.

Starting out as theist (and then a Christian in particular), I started to lose my faith in my mid to late 30s. I’m in my 50s now and would describe myself as an atheist.

• Jonatan (Rational Christian)

February 16, 2024 at 11:55 pm

Hello Im Jonatan,

I’m 29, from Spain. Attended theology school for a couple of years before moving to the US. I’d like to consider myself an independent thinker and someone who honestly wants to find the deepest possible understanding of truth.

I do believe in the bible even though I may be flexible in the literality of some passages. I’m right now an Adventist, as so far is the only Christian group I could find that followed all ten commandments including the Sabbath, and didn’t believe in the immortal soul or eternal hell, or worshiped idols. I do not consider those biblically accurate beliefs (when we die we are no more until resurrection and judgment). they also have a great Boy Scouts kind of program for when I have kids.

I do believe that logic and its application to faith can enrich and prevent grave mistakes. I’m fascinated by science and any rigorous form of knowledge as I love learning. I don’t find science antagonizing for my faith. I’m skeptical of evolution as a source of life and information in matter, and some of the time scales proposed but besides that, I find many of the evolutionary explanations logically acceptable.

I found this place recommended by Chat Gpt – lol

I hope to find a place where I can communicate ideas and ponder thoughts that cant be comprehended by my immediate group of friends.