Kudos to Craig

• Kudos to Craig

Posted by James on April 22, 2024 at 2:17 pm

I haven’t finished listening yet, but must say that I am thoroughly enjoying the following video:

https://youtu.be/RLMW2UYuuwA?si=_tk3deughpl1qYHG

Craig’s attention to detail and preparation for debate is impressive and kudos to him for the effort and hard work he puts in. Of interest is his observation that his interlocutors often fail to bring points that he thinks they will (and prepares for). I wonder what opportunities the atheists have missed?

I find Dr. Craig to be a thoroughly charming fellow who can respond to a lack of charity with a smile and and good humour. His planning and carefully considered responses, combined with his syllogistic approach gives his position an air of meticulous forethought and precision. When up against an interlocutor who takes a more informal / off-the-cuff approach, I think this can make his position appear stronger than it actually is but this, for me, further highlights the value of his approach. At the end of the day, he is evangelising and not merely debating and there are situations where I think he has clearly made his point more effectively and thus, won the exchange.

Are there exchanges in a debate context where Craig was, in your view, outmatched?

Secondly, is hearing an argument delivered orally going to result in a different (or less critical) response compared to if we had seen it written, a strategy that gives people more time to break down and evaluate the various different aspects of the same argument?

• This discussion was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  James.
    seán s. (nonbeliever) replied 2 weeks, 1 day ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • seán s. (nonbeliever)

April 22, 2024 at 3:21 pm

the end of the day, he is evangelising and not merely debating and there are situations where I think he has clearly made his point more effectively and thus, won the exchange.”<div>

This is what every debater should seek: to win over the audience.

seán s.

</div>

• James

April 23, 2024 at 11:58 am

I think that Craig often wins the debate because his position often appears stronger because it is well structured and he communicates extremely carefully.

• seán s. (nonbeliever)

April 23, 2024 at 1:48 pm

I’m sure that helps, but I wonder if these kinds of debates are more likely to draw people who are inclined to agree with Craig in the first place. They come looking for assurance. To “win” Craig merely needs to give them the barest, most de minimis hope, and they will be satisfied.

seán s.