This seems very appropriate for an apologetics website.

• This seems very appropriate for an apologetics website.

Posted by hatsoff on March 29, 2023 at 9:04 am

The new website has got in-your-face animations, “courses” to learn talking points in order to sound more educated, and a prominent “donate” button. It seems perfect for Dr. Craig’s ministry.

The Beego (Moderator) replied 1 year, 1 month ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Johan

March 29, 2023 at 11:05 am

I like the way the layout is new and more modern, but it doesn’t seem to be as structured or organized as the previous forum.

There seems to be even less of an ability to quote a previous post as a reply (while writing this, the background is fully faded out)

There is a quote button now though so that might help.

Not sure what the preformatted text button does though.
    • Point 1
    • Point 2
    • The Beego (Moderator)

March 29, 2023 at 12:18 pm

You think the old forum was structured or organized? 😆

Sorry, I’m very biased against the old site (as someone having to try to moderate it for over a year), and this new site can only get better, whereas the old one was at a dead end, update-wise.

• Johan

March 29, 2023 at 12:55 pm

At the old site, there were categories, and then sub categories and then posts structured under that. At this site, everything seems to be grouped under only “discussion”

EDIT: Also, it seems like the “feed” contains every reply to every discussion which could get really messy, very quickly if the volume of discourse increases.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Johan.
        • The Beego (Moderator)

March 29, 2023 at 1:36 pm

Right, there were multiple boards on the old site–dozens, actually, if you include all the archived boards. However, only a handful of boards were actually used, and about 97% of the posts were all on one board (A&T).

As the welcome post here indicates, there are other boards here if you want to have more specific and focused discussions; they’re just connected to the different courses offered on the site. If you enroll (and merely enroll, not even do anything in the course) you get access to the discussion board associated with it.

We plan to at least add an Off-topic board soon, and we’re open to adding others if the need arises (e.g., if we need to further quarantine political discussion, for instance), but I think the post-volume will be low enough to justify having this one, main board for now.

And the Feed function is only as useful as you want it to be. I fully expect most people to just skip right over to the Discussions tab. If the Feed gets cluttered, so be it. But it has its uses at least right now.

Thanks for the initial feedback, though. We’re open to all comments and suggestions while we get this all set up!

• The Beego (Moderator)

March 29, 2023 at 12:15 pm

You know the rules from the old site still apply to this one, right?

Denigrating Dr. Craig’s ministry still wouldn’t be tolerated here, you know.

That it would be odd for a modern nonprofit’s website to feature animations, access to all of the ministry’s information in a logical format, and a way to support their work speaks more about you than Dr. Craig, though.

Welcome to Equip, but you’re on thin ice.

• Unknown Member

March 30, 2023 at 8:36 am

[This message has been edited by a moderator due its rule-violating nature.]

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  The Beego (Moderator). Reason: cursing, condescension, overall poor expression
      • The Beego (Moderator)

March 30, 2023 at 10:20 am

I’m the moderator of the forums.

Thank you for your input, but you chose a poor way to express yourself.

Care to try again?

• Unknown Member

March 31, 2023 at 9:12 am

lose the attitude

• The Beego (Moderator)

March 31, 2023 at 9:44 am

I don’t think you’re in a position to police other people’s social interactions, unfortunately.

• James

March 30, 2023 at 1:50 pm

Liking the new format but topics need structuring moving forward. I tend to come and go so will likely hang on before diving in. Migrating was definitely a good move.

• The Beego (Moderator)

March 31, 2023 at 12:05 pm

Welcome, James!

There is some structuring of topics in the sense that the Equip ‘Courses’ each have their own message boards attached to them. (See the stickied posts about accessing those–it’s really easy.)

On the old site, the ‘Apologetics and Theology’ board contained about 97% of the activity of the entire forum, so this Group here can be considered to be in the same role for the time being.

We’re open to creating more Groups/boards as they’re needed, but I think this single board (and the ones attached to the Courses) will suffice to keep us organized as we grow.