Bug Report Thread

• Bug Report Thread

Posted by The Beego (Moderator) on April 1, 2023 at 9:44 pm

Please see the list of known bugs below before replying in this thread with your own!

Our newborn legs are still a little shaky here on the new platform.

Sorry for any difficulties you’re facing, and thank you for your patience.

Please use this thread to report any bug, glitches, or errors you encounter while using the forum—use as much detail as you can!

It seems many people are expressing frustration over not being able to properly quote someone they’re replying to, and I empathize.

For the time being, the best work around for this is just to copy the text of the post to which you’re replying and paste it into your response, then manually format it with either the ‘quote’ function or bold formatting. (May be obvious to some, but others need specific instruction!)

Also, if you’re using mobile to access the site, some features may appear in odd locations. For instance, the Reply button to respond to an Original Post (OP) is located at the bottom of the page! (On the desktop version, this is located in a side panel which is shifted down for the mobile version for whatever reason.)

We’ll do everything in our power to remedy any of these inconveniences that we can! Bear with us as we settle in!

Thank you

KNOWN BUGS

• When replying to an OP, the response box may indicate you are replying to some other user. Your reply will post as a normal parent message in spite of this, but it can be confusing!
    • “<div>” sometimes appears in posts.
    • The three-dot menu sometimes disappears on some posts.
    Algernon replied 2 months, 1 week ago 10 Members · 49 Replies
  • 49 Replies
  • jayceeii

April 7, 2023 at 8:14 am

After posting a new discussion, then quitting and restarting my browser, no options appear to either edit or delete it. It’s become like Moses with his stone tablets, get it right or forget it.

There is no mechanism to delete any post.

With respect to replies, I too am finding the three dots disappear, leaving me only the option of “replying” to my own post!

• The Beego (Moderator)

April 7, 2023 at 9:32 am

Is it inconsistent when this happens? It doesn’t happen to every reply, right?

• jayceeii

April 7, 2023 at 4:30 pm

The first few replies it didn’t work, then it worked for a day or two, then since then it hasn’t worked at all. For the one discussion I’ve started the edit option was available until I started a new browser session.

I tried logging off and logging on again and it didn’t help. The software isn’t detecting the user consistently then updating his display appropriately.

It might be too much to ask but I wanted to mention I miss the preview function, so you can see what it looks like before posting.

Also I’m unsure if we can use bbb codes here or not. Is there any help available for the formatting options?

Oh yes, also it would be nice if one could make “Notify me of replies via email” checked or unchecked by default, as a preference.

1. Added later: I was able to edit immediately after the post. Now I’ll try a new browser session and see if it disappears.

2. I’m still able to edit but I had forgotten to click “remember me” logging on. I’ll try again.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  jayceeii. Reason: Test of editing
        • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  jayceeii. Reason: Second test
      • jayceeii

April 7, 2023 at 4:37 pm

Test 2 failed so it might have something to do with “remember me” not working. Now it just gives the “reply” option.

Also I noticed the option to delete a post appears if you view your own post in the feed.

• The Beego (Moderator)

April 7, 2023 at 5:34 pm

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for running some tests on it, and your feedback on features is noted.

I’ll make sure Casey (the guy who actually knows what’s going on behind the scenes) sees all this.

• Pater

April 23, 2023 at 3:33 pm

Why a limit to “Edits”?

Looks like after three edits, it doesn’t allow further adjustments.

• jayceeii

April 23, 2023 at 3:59 pm

I think it’s on a timer, something like five minutes. As they say it’s a feature, not a bug. The intent appears to be to lock the posts so they can’t be changed later. If you exceed the timer the three dots menu is still there, but after you try to edit it says, “Your reply can’t be posted right now.” Forever.

• wonderer

May 3, 2023 at 7:27 am

There doesn’t seem to be any convenient way to provide a link to a specific post on the forum.

My last post prior to this was a formatting disaster, and I don’t know what I could have done to fix the problem.

I thought the new forum was supposed to have lots of new formatting features… Ah, just found that the “Aa” at the bottom of this test editing box brought up some formatting options.

Testing…

Testing of the ‘quote’ function using the Aa menu doesn’t seem to have done anything.

I want the old forum back.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  wonderer.
    • jayceeii

May 3, 2023 at 8:23 am

I’ve found the “preformatted text” option works better for most quotes, since quotes uses too large a font size. When you click on it, it will format the paragraph where the cursor is. So you have to type something first, then apply formatting.

I also haven’t been able to insert a hyperlink using the Aa menu. When I try nothing appears. But if you paste a text hyperlink in it automatically formats it when you post.

To post a link to a specific post I copy the link the RSS reader sends, which has the post number at the right. I’m using Firefox plugins: Easy RSS and RSS Feed Reader both work. This site has several feeds. You want to connect to Equip | Reasonable Faith Forum | Activity. To make a connection, go to the Feeds page in the usual way, then when you add a feed to the plugin it will list the options of the active site.

https://knowwhyyoubelieve.org/groups/reasonable-faith-forum/forum/topic/bug-report-thread/#post-33739

Preformatted Text

A Quotation with Outsize Fonts.

• The Beego (Moderator)

May 3, 2023 at 10:09 am

If you would rather have the absolute disaster of the previous forum setup over this, I don’t know what to tell you 😅

We can try to get some of the kinks worked out here, but it was hopeless for the last iteration.

Wanting that just because you were used to it and had some specific features this one current doesn’t is approaching Stockholm Syndrome lol

But thanks for bringing this stuff up, and for @jayceeii discussing some temporary workarounds–hopefully it’s temporary and there are some knobs we can tweak behind the curtain.

• wonderer

May 3, 2023 at 11:37 am

Hey, respect your elders, and their unwillingness to learn new tricks.

• The Beego (Moderator)

May 5, 2023 at 10:12 am

😄 Sorry, I’ll try to keep an open mind about your ‘old dog’ status!

• wonderer

May 3, 2023 at 11:48 am

Testing blockquote html tag.

• wonderer

May 3, 2023 at 12:01 pm

That seems to have worked.

So to present a quote that way use…

{blockquote}Text to be quoted.{/blockquote}

…except instead of curly braces use < and >.

• Johan

May 4, 2023 at 9:57 am

I don’t think this is a bug, but I’ve found it a little annoying that the “notify me of replies” isn’t the default option. I have missed several responses because I was somehow not subscribed to threads.

Also, when you hit reply, it fades the background out so strongly that you can no longer read the text of the message you were replying to. I’ve found I have to open it in another tab and go back and forth. I liked the old system better where the old replies were listed below your reply so you could go back and read the thread for reference.

Another thing that isn’t really a bug but I find difficult to adjust to are the sub threads. I like the fact that replies are grouped so that individual conversations are sorted, but when I click the link from the email, it just takes me to the top and I have to scroll down skimming the whole thread to find where the reply was. It would be nice if replies were tagged with a < div > that includes and ID, and the emailed link could jump you down to that part of the page automatically.

I think that is all for now. I do like the more modern interface, but I think it will take some time to get used to it more. I think this format is better suited for quick single paragraph responses like text messaging, rather than full on debates, or long deep dive discussion posts, but maybe I will get used to it over time.

• The Beego (Moderator)

May 5, 2023 at 10:12 am

Thanks for bringing these things up; I’ll note them and see what we can do!

For the background blurring out when you’re replying, it IT annoying that you can’t see the post you’re responding to. However, if you click off the reply box to see the rest of the thread and then click on reply again, it will open it back up where you left off. At least, it has for me when I’ve done it. (This is, also, on computer. I haven’t tried this on mobile, if that’s your primary way of accessing the site.)

• Johan

May 5, 2023 at 11:11 am

It’s a little counter intuitive to me, but it does seem to work on my pc too.

If it shrunk the reply window and docked it somewhere and then re-expanded when clicked on, that would make what is happening more intuitive, and make me less likely to fear that what I typed is lost, but I could probably get used to it.

• wonderer

May 5, 2023 at 12:19 pm

Another thing that isn’t really a bug but I find difficult to adjust to are the sub threads. I like the fact that replies are grouped so that individual conversations are sorted, but when I click the link from the email, it just takes me to the top and I have to scroll down skimming the whole thread to find where the reply was. It would be nice if replies were tagged with a < div > that includes and ID, and the emailed link could jump you down to that part of the page automatically.

I don’t make use of the email features of the site, but a workaround I use for the sort of issue you are talking about is the “Feed” view, which lists the most recent posts and provides “Read more” links. So I can frequently find a receng post I want to reply to, and get to its position within the discussion using the “Read more” link.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  wonderer.
      • Johan

May 5, 2023 at 12:25 pm

I’ll have to try that if it is a recent reply. If it was a while ago, it will likely be buried in the feed too.

I will either get used to it eventually, or just drop off and stop posting =)

• Johan

May 5, 2023 at 12:24 pm

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Johan.
  • wonderer

May 5, 2023 at 6:02 pm

Can we get a longer edit period?

I’d say 48 hours sounds about right.

• Pater

May 5, 2023 at 11:39 pm

Church bro, I second that one.

• jayceeii

May 6, 2023 at 9:45 am

I’ll give this a third. Sometimes I’ll think I could have worded something more gently, but I can’t go back since it is cast in stone. At the same time I remember this could be going on for others too, so I look past what might be considered overly harsh remarks.

• wonderer

May 7, 2023 at 7:27 pm

An annoyance for me is that on my mobile device, if I select desktop mode on my device, the forum software sends me to the mobile version when I click a forum link, even though I want to view the desktop version. Many other websites don’t do this, so I’m hoping this is easily fixed.

• wonderer

May 11, 2023 at 11:30 pm

Could we get discussions broken up into pages?

It is getting to the point where it takes a long time to load all of a long thread, and what amounts to a long thread on the new forum at present is nothing compared to many of the post counts on the old forum. Also, it is taking a long time to scroll from the top of a thread to the bottom.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by  wonderer.
    • The Beego (Moderator)

May 12, 2023 at 10:19 am

Is this a mobile issue?

On desktop, the bar on the right side jumps around really quickly for me, even in a long page.

• wonderer

May 12, 2023 at 10:31 am

It is an issue when using my Kindle, whether or not the Kindle browser is in mobile mode or desktop mode. The only way to scroll is by swiping the touchscreen, and it is taking a lot of swiping on the bigger threads that currently exist.

• The Beego (Moderator)

May 27, 2023 at 1:06 pm

Test reply

• Johan

June 27, 2023 at 3:12 pm

Ive noticed something while on mobile that has been a little annoying, but I can usually work around it.

When I first reply to a post, the “post” button is inactive. I have to click off the post to save it as a draft and then click reply again to get the post button to activate. This isn’t too much of a problem for quick posts, but when the post is long, there usually isn’t enough space around the window to be able to click off the post. Sometimes it requires going back and forward a page to get out of the active post window.

If I just came from the notice on my email client though, hitting back sends me back and closes the page, so I usually loose my draft.

• Mammal

August 17, 2023 at 1:33 pm

How do I stop email notifications of posts? Annoying. I can’t seem to find a toggle option.

• Johan

August 17, 2023 at 1:35 pm

I think you just have to “unsubscribe” from the thread. I it is right below the “reply” button on the right side of the screen on my computer. (do it from inside the thread though).

• Mammal

August 17, 2023 at 2:55 pm

Dankie, thank you, Johan.

• Fred

September 26, 2023 at 7:35 pm

Beego – I just noticed that on my Android phone, the ability to reply to a specific post within a thread is not present. I came to my windows computer and was able to respond to the post.

• Johan

September 26, 2023 at 8:23 pm

I just noticed that same behaviour on my phone too. Once there is around 4-5 replied deep, the reply arrow disappears. I would guess it has to do with the scaling and trying to fit it on the screen without having a horizontal scroll or overlapping the user details. It is probably one of the downsides of using a nested reply structure that offsets all replies from the initial.

It might resolve the issue if only the first reply got indented. Tomorrow I will try to shrink the window on my PC to see if the behavior happens there too.

• The Beego (Moderator)

September 27, 2023 at 9:45 am

Noted

• Johan

September 27, 2023 at 9:46 am

Just as a data point, my hypothesis was correct. When I shrink my browser window past a specific width, the reply buttons also disappear on the pc. That might make testing for it easier.

• Johan

November 8, 2023 at 2:55 pm

I fixed this on my phone by going to the desktop site rather than the mobile site. Now the problem is that everything is so zoomed out it is hard to see, but it got the reply button back =)

• Fred

September 30, 2023 at 11:42 am

On several occasions, after making a post I see these characters added to the posted text:

<div>

When I’ve noticed, I’ve then edited the post and removed them.

On a related not, here’s a request (not a bug): a “preview” button, so we could see what the post looks like before actually posting it, so errors and typos can be taken care of.

• Mammal

September 30, 2023 at 1:21 pm

This portal is SO Android user unfriendly that I find myself very close to aborting it altogether.

Page 1 of 2